Friday, July 27, 2012

Galloway Running Camp

A few weeks ago, I had the most incredible opportunity!
I went to Lake Tahoe, CA for Jeff Galloway's running camp!
We stayed at Squaw Valley Lodge.  Squaw Valley is where the 1960 Winter Olympics were held and the torch is still burning!

I went with Vicky and I am so grateful she invited me!!

Each day started with a 6am run that was about 5-6 miles.  It was about 40 degrees every morning for our run.  It was a welcome change from Texas weather!

Almost every afternoon, we went for a hike.  The views were incredible!




The hike to High Camp was about 4 miles and took us about 3 1/2 hours.  We had a fun group to scale the mountain!




Once we got to the top (8200 feet elevation), there was an awesome pool, hot tub and cabana bar!



All of our meals were provided for us, except for a few dinners.  We got to eat at the local restaurants in the ski village!


Over the weekend, there was a wine festival in the village.  The wine tasting and the shopping was wonderful!


This was one of my favorite runs!  We started on one side of the mountain, went up and over and finished at our lodge!

A lot of the run was on the ridge line and was a bit scary!

Chas and Westin were my buddies at camp.  They had been before (since its their dad and uncle's program) and knew the trails, hikes and paths.  So fun!

Jeff is a running genius!  He was able to answer any and all of our questions, give me a training plan for my upcoming MARATHONS and was a great leader!

The hike to Emerald Bay was amazing!  I never thought I would see so many beautiful views as I did this week in Lake Tahoe!


A few of my girls this week!  We are anxious to go back next year!!


If you can't tell by this picture, the waterfall drops off right below our feet!



Another morning, we went to the lake to start our run.  We ran about 5 miles, then slowly got into the 40 degree water to cool off!



It was almost painful to be in the water!

A few afternoons, Jeff held special running clinics and speed trainings!

We frequented Uncorked-a fabulous winery in the village!

Thursday morning was our 'long run.'  I was told it was a 14 mile trail run.  Going in, I was a bit nervous to go that far, but I didn't want to miss out either.

We ran Donnor Pass.  (You know...the Donnor Party??  This is where it all happened.)

This was about 4 miles into the run.

At times, it was freezing on the mountain!  There was even snow up there!

Slowly making my way over the snow...

Tinker's Knob was 8949 ft elevation!  It was so cold, but so gorgeous!!!
The whole run/hike was 15.5 miles!!!

Of course, we had to visit Uncorked again before the week was over!

Oh my goodness!  It was an INCREDIBLE week!  I will be going back next year!  I learned so much, met so many fabulous people and had the time of my life!

2 comments:

  1. That looks so incredibly awesome! I want to go next year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun trip. Definitely a beautiful part of the country!

    ReplyDelete